On Friday evening, Vice President-elect Mike Pence was harassed by the stars of “Hamilton” when he attended the Broadway show in New York City. Now, Donald Trump is firing back at the actors in a big way.
They really never should have messed with Trump’s righthand man…
President-elect Donald Trump doubled down on his attack on Broadway sensation ‘Hamilton’ on Sunday morning.
The drama began at the Friday night performance as soon as Vice President-elect Mike Pence walked into the Richard Rodgers Theatre with his nephew and daughter.
A mixture of boos and cheers rang out from the crowd as Pence slipped into his prime orchestra seat.
When the show ended, Pence was asked by a cast member to hear a prepared speech after the curtain call from the multiracial and multicultural cast, saying it is concerned about the Trump administration.
‘We, sir, we are the diverse America who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us, our planet, our children, our parents, or defend us and uphold our inalienable rights,’ said Brandon Victor Dixon, who plays Aaron Burr, the nation’s third vice president, as his fellow actors joined hands.
‘We truly hope that this show has inspired you to uphold our American values and to work on behalf of all of us.’
The unusual address quickly went viral — and Trump wasn’t happy.
On Saturday, just five minutes after ending his day of meeting with potential cabinet members, Trump tweeted that Pence had been ‘harassed’ by the ‘Hamilton’ cast.
In another tweet, he said: ‘The Theater must always be a safe and special place. The cast of Hamilton was very rude last night to a very good man, Mike Pence. Apologize!’
He posted another such message Saturday evening, but then deleted it.
It came as Trump and Pence supporters held rallies near the theater in New York to protest the ‘harassment’ of the vice president-elect.
Then, early Sunday morning, Trump again took to Twitter to demand the cast and producers ‘immediately apologize to Mike Pence for their terrible behavior.’
This time, Trump added a dig at the critically acclaimed show, which is sold out until September 2017, saying he has heard it’s ‘highly overrated.’
But the cast of Hamilton has received support from celebrities, including Chrissy Teigen who noted that Trump was attacking the show in a bid to distract Americans from his decision to settle his Trump University fraud lawsuit for $25million on Friday.
‘Look who wants a f****** safe space now. The very thing him and his supporters make fun of as liberal political correctness. God, what a POS,’ she wrote on Twitter.
‘Donald knows very well what he is doing. He knows the Hamilton speech was NBD. He knows the tweet will fire both sides up to distract from the 25 million dollar settlement of yesterday.’
She added: ‘Most conniving human on planet earth.’
Dixon responded to Trump on Twitter saying that ‘conversation is not harassment sir’ and added that he appreciated Pence stopping to listen.
Trump had posted a tweet Saturday evening similar to his earlier ones but later deleted it. Staffers did not respond to an email asking why.
What do you think about this? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section.