OPINION: This article may contain commentary which reflects the author's opinion.
A man rammed his car into a barricade at the United States Capitol, got out of the car and shot himself.
The incident happened around 4 AM on Sunday when the man drove his car into the barricade at East Capitol Street and Second Street. He left the car that was on fire, fired several shots in the air, then shot himself as officers approached, The Capitol Police said.
“Just after 4:00 a.m., a man drove his car into the vehicle barricade at East Capitol Street and Second Street. While the man was getting out of the car, it became engulfed in flames,” the Capitol Police said.
“The man then fired several shots into the air along East Capitol Street. When our officers heard the sound of gunfire, they immediately responded and were approaching the man when he shot himself. Nobody else was hurt.
At this time, it does not appear the man was targeting any Members of Congress, who are on recess, and it does not appear officers fired their weapons. Our investigators are looking into the man’s background. DC’s Metropolitan Police Department is handling the death investigation,” it said.
WATCH: A man drove his car into a Capitol barricade and fired several shots into the air early Sunday morning, authorities say.
When officers approached the man, he shot himself. No one else was hurt. pic.twitter.com/sIbzcdYyY8
— Meet the Press (@MeetThePress) August 14, 2022
Removed from the Capitol just now, car that ran barricade and caught fire over night. pic.twitter.com/xUqqIfpsQa
— AP Photos (@APLphotos) August 14, 2022
The U.S. Capitol Police said a man shot and killed himself early Sunday morning after he rammed into a vehicle barricade near the U.S. Capitol Building. https://t.co/3DnoZ9OLx5
— WXYZ Detroit (@wxyzdetroit) August 14, 2022
Man rams barricade near Capitol, fires shots, then kills himself, police say https://t.co/E9FLVsHIaE
— RM Blaber (@rm_blaber) August 14, 2022
It came after armed man attempted to breach the FBI field office in Cincinnati prompting a shootout with police.
“At approximately 9 AM this morning an armed subject attempted to breach the Visitor Screening Facility at #FBI Cincinnati,” the FBI said. “After an alarm and a response by FBI special agents, the subject fled north onto Interstate 71.”
— James Pilcher (@jamespilcher) August 11, 2022
“Clinton Co EMA: Reminder a LOCKDOWN is in effect for a one mile radius from the intersection of Smith Road and Center Road. Residents and businesses in this area should lock their doors and remain vigilant. Law enforcement has traded shots with a male suspect who is wearing a gray shirt and body armor. Also, Interstate 71 is closed in both directions between the US 68 exit to the north and the SR 73 exit to the south. Additionally, State Route 73 is closed between Mitchell Roads and State Route 380. More information as it becomes available,” Clinton County Emergency Management said on Facebook.
The suspect was later killed in the standoff, ABC 7 reported.
The standoff comes after a pursuit on I-71 in Clinton County, Ohio.
The FBI said at 9 a.m., an armed man attempted to break into the visitor screening facility at the Cincinnati FBI office.
The man then fled north onto I-71 in Clinton County, Ohio.
The FBI, Ohio State Highway Patrol and local law enforcement are currently engaged in a standoff with the suspect in Wilmington, Ohio.
The standoff comes after the FBI raided the home of former President Donald Trump, though the motive for the crime is not known as of this writing.
FBI Director Christopher Wray refused to directly address questions about an FBI raid of former President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago residence conducted earlier this week.
While speaking with reporters, Wray did find the time to denounce “deplorable” threats against law enforcement in his first public comments since the search in Florida.
Asked to respond to Trump’s suggestion, Wray declined to jump into the fray. “As I’m sure you can appreciate, that’s not something I can talk about,” he said. Wray then referred such a question to the Department of Justice.
Wray did answer a question from a reporter asking about threats made against agents.
“Any threats made against law enforcement, including the men and women of the FBI, as with any law enforcement agency, are deplorable and dangerous,” the FBI director said.
A federal judge on Wednesday ordered the Biden Justice Department to produce a copy of a search warrant executed at his Mar-a-Lago estate, where the FBI conducted a nine-hour-plus search on Monday.
Federal Judge Bruce Reinhart ordered the DOJ to “file a Response to the Motion to Unseal” the warrant after requests were made by the Times-Union, a newspaper located in Albany, N.Y., as well as the conservative legal group Judicial Watch.
The judge said that the DOJ must respond no later than Aug. 15, reports said.
Reinhart signed off on the FBI’s warrant to search the former president’s palatial home in South Florida in what he said was an “unannounced raid on my home.”
He took a leave of absence from a local U.S. Attorney’s office more than 10 years ago to represent employees of convicted pedophile Jeffrey Epstein after they had gotten immunity during the lengthy probe of the now-late financier for sex trafficking.
Trump attorney Lindsey Halligan said that the warrant was “sealed” when agents showed up to search Trump’s estate.
Another Trump lawyer, Christian Bobb, meanwhile, told streaming network Real America’s Voice: “When I arrived and kind of announced myself as the legal representation for President Trump. I asked to see a copy of the warrant.”