Questions Arise After Police Leave Caller Info Blank In Death of Obama Chef, Won’t Reveal Witnesses


OPINION: This article may contain commentary which reflects the author's opinion.

Some oddities have arisen stemming from the death of the personal chef for former President Barack Obama and first lady Michelle Obama that are raising questions.

For one, according to the UK’s Daily Mail, “Martha’s Vineyard police left the reason for the 911 call reporting Obama private chef Tafari Campbell’s drowning blank in official logs from the night of the accident.”

And while Campbell, 45, was not on the water alone Sunday night while paddle boarding on Great Edgartown Pond when he fell in, police also won’t name who he was with.

Cops did say that the 911 call was made around 7:46 p.m. from around 2 miles away, the outlet reported.

“That call is noted in Edgartown Police Department’s logs, but the reason behind it is left noticeably blank. The reason for every other call for that night is given,” the Daily Mail reported.

The call’s origin is also recorded as Wilson’s Landing, which serves as a paddle board launch site situated approximately two miles away from the Obamas’ residence on Turkeyland Cove. According to the Massachusetts State Police, that is where the initial call was made.


The Daily Mail added:

Edgartown police chief Bruce McNamee told that the call log is generated by the Dukes County Sheriff’s Office. 

He could only speculate on why the reason for the call is left blank, saying it may be because the caller from Obama’s property didn’t dial 911, which automatically generates location data, and instead made a direct call to a business line.

He also said the address was listed as Wilson’s Landing because that was the public launch used as the command post. 

Subsequent reports following the drowning noted that the former first couple were not at home at the time of the incident. It’s not clear, however, if their daughters, Sasha and Malia – who were also in town – were at home or on the water.

That said, according to the report, dispatcher calls between emergency services note that there was someone out on the water with Campbell. Also, they confirm that the first call came from a female who then got back on the water and, by around 8:18 p.m., was on a boat going “back and forth,” presumably searching for Campbell.


“We met with the reporting party, she is on a boat with two individuals and they’re going back and forth as well,” one rescuer noted at around 8:23 p.m.

The Daily Mail noted: “That person also remains unidentified. It’s unclear if they were the person Campbell was paddle boarding with.”

The body of Campbell, of Dumfries, Va., was recovered Monday morning from the pond after an extensive search, Fox News reported.

Police said that Campbell was paddleboarding near the Obamas’ home in Martha’s Vineyard and was not wearing a life jacket. They added that no foul play is suspected in the incident.

According to the unidentified paddleboarder who was with Campbell, he was seen standing on his paddleboard when he lost his balance and fell into the water. The witness then recalled that Campbell struggled to stay afloat but eventually submerged.

The fellow paddleboarder informed investigators that they made an effort to swim to Campbell’s location but were unable to reach him in time, Fox News noted.

They eventually swam back to shore and sought assistance from someone to call 911. Upon receiving the distress call, the Dukes County Regional Emergency Communications Center promptly launched an emergency search and rescue operation involving multiple public safety agencies, the network noted further.

The search efforts were temporarily halted late Sunday, police said. However, on Monday, police reported that sonar equipment from a boat successfully located the body approximately 100 feet away from the shore at a depth of approximately 8 feet.

Test your skills with this Quiz!