Advertisement

Trump Accepts Biden’s Offer For Early Debates While Dems Fret

Advertisement

OPINION: This article may contain commentary which reflects the author's opinion.


Donald Trump has accepted an offer by President Joe Biden for two debates ahead of early voting that is slated to begin in the fall, though some leading Democrats are already expressing concerns about the agreement, perhaps because of Biden’s apparently cognitive decline.

After Trump said he was in, Biden said in a post on X that he “received and accepted an invitation” from CNN for a debate on June 27.  “Over to you, Donald. As you said: anywhere, any time, any place,” Biden wrote.

When asked for comment, Trump told Fox News Digital that he will accept the invitation and “will be there.” The Republican added that he is “looking forward to being in beautiful Atlanta.”

The proposal, initially detailed by the Biden-Harris campaign in a letter to the bipartisan Commission on Presidential Debates on Wednesday morning, moves away from the longstanding tradition of three fall debates organized by the commission.

Following the announcement, Trump told Fox News that he would agree to the incumbent Democrat’s proposed timeline.

“Crooked Joe Biden is the worst debater I have ever faced – he can’t put two sentences together,” Trump told Fox News Digital. “Crooked is also the worst president in the history of the United States, by far.”

Advertisement

Trump also told the outlet that “it is time for a debate to take place – even if it has to be held through the offices of the Commission on Presidential Debates, which are totally controlled by Democrats and who, as people remember, got caught cheating with me with debate sound levels.”

“I’m ready to go,” Trump said. “The dates that they proposed are fine. Anywhere. Anytime. Any place. Let’s see if Joe can make it to the stand-up podium.”

“The proposed June and early September dates are fully acceptable to me,” Trump added in his statement to Fox News Digital. “I will provide my own transportation.”

Some Democrats, however, are voicing concerns. On Wednesday, Former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi revealed her personal views on the debates.

“I myself would never recommend going on stage with Donald Trump, but the president has decided that’s what he wants to do,” Pelosi said, Fox News reported. “I think the format he is suggesting is a good one.”

The California Democrat also suggested that instead of a debate, she would prefer to see “separate town hall meetings” for each candidate to let the audience “challenge them with questions about the future.”

Advertisement

In a letter obtained by Fox News Digital, the Biden-Harris campaign suggested that the first debate take place in late June, following the expected conclusion of Trump’s New York criminal trial and Biden’s return from the G-7 Summit where he will meet with world leaders.

A second presidential debate would occur in September, preceding the start of early voting. Additionally, the campaign proposed a vice presidential debate to take place in late July, following the Republican nomination of their vice presidential candidate, Fox reported.

The Biden-Harris campaign requested that the debates be held inside a TV studio, equipped with microphones that automatically cut off when a speaker exceeds their time limit.

The letter also specified that the debates should involve only the two candidates and the moderator, without the presence of an in-person audience that Trump often engages with, which could potentially be disruptive or partisan.

Advertisement

They also want the debates to exclude Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. and other independent or third-party candidates.

“Donald Trump lost two debates to me in 2020. Since then, he hasn’t shown up for a debate. Now he’s acting like he wants to debate me again. Well, make my day, pal,” Biden said in a video message shared earlier Wednesday morning on social media. “I’ll even do it twice. So let’s pick the dates, Donald. I hear you’re free on Wednesdays.”

Trump took to his Truth Social platform Wednesday event to expound upon his previous statement to Fox.

“It’s time for a debate so that he can explain to the American People his highly destructive Open Border Policy, new and ridiculous EV Mandates, the allowance of Crushing Inflation, High Taxes, and his really WEAK Foreign Policy, which is allowing the World to ‘Catch on Fire.’ I am Ready and Willing to Debate Crooked Joe at the two proposed times in June and September,” Trump posted. “I would strongly recommend more than two debates and, for excitement purposes, a very large venue, although Biden is supposedly afraid of crowds – That’s only because he doesn’t get them. Just tell me when, I’ll be there. ‘Let’s get ready to Rumble!!!’”

Advertisement
Test your skills with this Quiz!