OPINION: This article may contain commentary which reflects the author's opinion.
Donald Trump, the 45th President of the United States, is becoming furious with Special Counsel John Durham and the delay on his report about the origins of the Trump / Russia investigation.
Trump issued a statement this week decrying the time it has been taking Durham to produce the report that many believed would have been issued prior to the 2020 presidential election.
“Where’s Durham? Is he a living, breathing human being? Will there ever be a Durham report?” Trump said Friday night in a message from his official 45 Office email account.
And now a report from Fox News said that Durham is taking his time on the investigation, with many concerned about how quiet he has been.
One source with knowledge of the investigation said Fox News on Monday that the probe has been “eerily quiet,” with another source saying that there has been “radio silence.”
“It’s dead quiet,” another source said, but they said that they are “sure it is ongoing.”
“He is not the kind of guy to be idle,” the source said to Fox News. “He is a very diligent, hardworking, serious guy.”
The source said. “He wouldn’t stay in that job a minute longer than he has to.”
Durham’s investigation has produced one criminal charge so far, against former FBI lawyer Kevin Clinesmith, who was accused of altering an email related to the surveillance of former Trump campaign aide Carter Page.
That prosecution, though, did not allege a broader conspiracy within the FBI, and the conduct it involved had largely been laid out in a Justice Department inspector general report from last December. Clinesmith in August pleaded guilty to making a false statement to Durham’s team.
The offense carried a maximum term of imprisonment of five years and a fine of up to $250,000.
Clinesmith was sentenced to 12 months probation and 400 hours of community service, and no fine.
Many were frightened that the Durham investigation would come to a halt with the Biden administration but current Justice Department officials Attorney General Merrick Garland and Deputy Attorney General Lisa Monaco have said they support the investigation.
“Mr. Durham has been allowed to stay on, and I have no reason to think that’s wrong,” Monaco said of the investigation “As deputy attorney general, it will be my job to make sure he has the resources and I will be committed to doing that.”
But according to Just the News’ John Solomon, Durham’s been plugging away diligently behind the scenes.
In fact, according to testimony last week from FBI Director Christopher Wray, further disciplinary actions against some FBI and Justice Department officials may even have been delayed at Durham’s request so he could continue his investigation.
Because we are cooperating fully with Mr. Durham’s investigation, at his request we had slowed that process down to allow his criminal investigation to proceed,” Wray told the Senate Judiciary Committee.
“So at the moment, that process is still underway in order to make sure we are being appropriately sensitive to the criminal investigation,” Wray added.
Those comments to the Senate committee indicating that additional crimes are being examined dovetails with comments last year from then-Attorney General William Barr when he upgraded Durham’s status to the special prosecutor and then expanded his investigative team.
According to Solomon, sources have said Durham is now focused “on whether FBI executives knowingly and unlawfully misled the FISA court and Congress by withholding exculpatory evidence, extending an investigation without justification and creating the illusion there was evidence of Russian collusion when most had been debunked or dismissed,” he wrote.
Sources told Solomon that a former senior FBI official appears to have been turning ‘states evidence’ and is cooperating with Durham’s investigators.