OPINION: This article may contain commentary which reflects the author's opinion.
A longtime Fox News host on the show “The Five” has responded to rumors that he may no longer appear on the popular show. The rumors come as the network is reportedly planning to unroll many new changes to its programming and line-up.
Liberal host Geraldo Rivera posted a photo on Wednesday of himself on vacation drinking a Bloody Mary in Rhode Island.
“Enjoying a bloody at 41’North Marina in Newport Rhode Island, gorgeous windy day. Heading from here down east to Buzzard’s Bay then west to Shinnecock LI,” he tweeted.
After someone commented, “No more The Five,” Geraldo responded by saying: “See you Next Tuesday and Wednesday on The Five.”
See you Next Tuesday and Wednesday on The Five https://t.co/v3dTqIYfqk
— Geraldo Rivera (@GeraldoRivera) May 17, 2023
Geraldo not appearing on “The Five” for the rest of the week comes after he was noticeably absent from the show last week.
A few weeks ago, Rivera took to Twitter to inform his followers that his planned appearances on the show for Thursday and Friday had been canceled.
“My appearances today and tomorrow on The Five have been canceled. I’m sure there’s a good reason. Never fear, I’ll be back week after next. Stay safe and happy. Thanks,” Rivera tweeted, adding that he would be returning to the show soon.
Fox News has been beset with uncertainty after abruptly cutting ties with Tucker Carlson in late April.
There’s no indication that Rivera’s absences mean he will be fired or removed from the show, but the timing has certainly raised some questions — and even he seemed to suggest something may be amiss.
My appearances today and tomorrow on The Five have been canceled. I’m sure there’s a good reason. Never fear, I’ll be back week after next. Stay safe and happy. Thanks 🙏
— Geraldo Rivera (@GeraldoRivera) May 4, 2023
While it may not be related to his canceled appearances, Rivera came under fire in recent weeks for his comments about Carlson.
Popular Fox News host Greg Gutfeld defended Carlson twice last week, once on Twitter and another time during an episode of “The Five.”
Gutfeld took to Twitter to hit back at his colleague Rivera, who had issued some seething comments about Carlson after his departure.
Rivera tweeted: “I don’t wish ill on anybody, but there is no doubt – as I said at the time-Tucker Carlson’s perverse January 6 conspiracy theory was ‘bullsh*t.’ Having lost the election President Trump incited an insurrection that sought to undermine our Constitutional process.”
In response, Gutfeld hit back at Rivera for taking a shot at Carlson, which came across as Gutfeld was offering support to his former colleague.
“You’re a class act Geraldo. A real man of the people,” Gutfeld tweeted.
You’re a class act Geraldo. A real man of the people. https://t.co/20LOwVzXwS
— GregGutfeld (@greggutfeld) April 26, 2023
During a segment last week on “The Five,” Gutfeld joked that Carlson will run for president — and several of the hosts did not say a word.
Fox News has been hit with a slew of rumors again this week about its primetime line-up.
The network was forced to release a statement on Wednesday night clarifying that host Laura Ingraham has not been fired despite claims that circulated across social media.
“Reports based on various tweets by left-wing activists are wildly inaccurate – Laura Ingraham, the top-rated woman in cable news, is now and will continue to be a prominent host and integral part of the Fox News lineup,” Fox News said in a statement, via Mediaite.
The rumors about Ingraham began on Wednesday afternoon after news aggregator Matt Drudge shared a scoop detailing how Fox News will make a big shake-up following Tucker Carlson’s departure from the network.
According to Drudge, the network will move longtime host Sean Hannity to take over the 8 p.m. time slot.
“WORLD EXCLUSIVE: FOXNEWS SETS NEW SCHEDULE” read the headline from Drudge, who noted Hannity’s new time slot as well as reports that both Jesse Watters and Greg Gutfeld would be heading to prime time.
“FOXNEWS is preparing to announce an ambitious new schedule, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned, a schedule where ever hour of primetime will change!” Drudge reported. “TOP SOURCE TELLS DRUDGE: ‘IT’S OUR BOLDEST AND MOST FEARLESS LINE-UP EVER’…”
A spokesperson for Fox News issues a statement to Mediaite regarding Drudge’s report by saying: “No decision has been made on a new primetime line-up and there are multiple scenarios under consideration.”