Things are starting to get very, very serious with the coronavirus.
The NBA has canceled its season, colleges and schools are closing for a period of time, and events across the country are either canceling or refusing to allow a live audience in the studio to prevent the coronavirus from spreading.
Now, ABC’s “The View” co-host Joy Behar has announced that she is leaving the show for some time over fears of the coronavirus.
Behar will make the announcement during a pre-taped episode of “The View,” which will air on Friday, Variety reported.
“I’m in a higher risk group because of my age, but I’m perfectly healthy,” she said. “I don’t look my age, but I’m actually up there. The number makes me dizzy.”
“Behar will not be on ‘The View’ next week, and then she’ll decide when to return after that,” Variety said.
“The remaining co-hosts of ‘The View’ – which includes Whoopi Goldberg, Meghan McCain, and Sunny Hostin – will continue to appear on the talk show,” it said.
“This week, ‘The View’ followed many other daytime and late-night programs that stopped allowing a live studio audience at tapings,” it said.
Amid growing concerns of the novel coronavirus pandemic, Joy Behar will be taking precautionary time off from co-hosting “The View” as a precautionary measure. https://t.co/Df36ogHuqa
— ABC News (@ABC) March 13, 2020
President Donald Trump delivered an address from the Oval Office on Wednesday night and detailed a series of actions his administration has taken and plans to take in order to combat the coronavirus.
Trump announced his decision to suspend all travel from the European Union for the next 30 days.
“We will be suspending all travel from Europe to the United States for the next 30 days,” Trump said.
The president noted that the European Union failed to ban travel into their country from areas affected by the coronavirus.
He said there would be exemptions for Americans traveling from Europe who had been screened, as well as from the United Kingdom.
“The European Union failed to take the same precautions and restrict travel from China and other hot spots. As a result, a large number of new clusters in the United States were seeded by new travelers from Europe,” Trump said.
The president also urged Americans to do their part to prevent the spread of the virus.
Trump said he would also declare emergency action to help people affected by the economic and health consequences of the virus.
Trump ordered the Small Business Administration to provide economic loans to areas disrupted by the virus and also called on Congress to pass payroll tax relief.
Vice President Mike Pence has been selected by Trump to serve as the point-man on its coronavirus response team.
On Tuesday, Pence announced the nation’s largest health insurance companies have agreed to waive all co-payments for coronavirus testing and treatment, demonstrating the Trump administration had secured a deal to ensure the government will partner with the private industry to benefit the American people.
During a White House meeting with Trump and top health insurance company executives, Pence estimated almost 240 million Americans would be covered between the private insurers’ plans and their support Medicare and Medicaid programs.