OPINION: This article may contain commentary which reflects the author's opinion.
Twitter boss and entrepreneur Elon Musk has responded in the wake of a video announcement from defrocked Fox News host Tucker Carlson that he was moving his show to the popular platform.
Musk has denied there has been any deal signed with Carlson regarding the creation of a new version of his show there.
“On this platform, unlike the one-way street of broadcast, people are able to interact, critique and refute whatever is said,” Musk said, according to the Daily Wire. “And, of course, anything misleading will get @CommunityNotes.”
“I also want to be clear that we have not signed a deal of any kind whatsoever,” Musk added. “Tucker is subject to the same rules & rewards of all content creators. Rewards mean subscriptions and advertising revenue share (coming soon), which is a function of how many people subscribe and the advertising views associated with the content.”
Musk’s statement that no deal had been signed with Carlson is significant because Carlson is currently bound by a non-compete clause in his contract with Fox News, which prevents him from appearing in the media until January 2025, the Daily Wire added.
We’re back. pic.twitter.com/sG5t9gr60O
— Tucker Carlson (@TuckerCarlson) May 9, 2023
Carlson’s announcement came after Axios reported earlier this week that Carlson and Musk had a “conversation,” but the report was light on details.
“Axios has learned that Carlson and Elon Musk had a conversation about working together, but didn’t discuss specifics,” the report said.
According to sources close to him, Carlson is reportedly considering the possibility of creating his own direct-to-consumer media platform, where his large fan base could pay to watch him. The model was previously used by Carlson’s predecessor on Fox News, Bill O’Reilly, who is currently hosting a show during Carlson’s old timeslot for The First TV, which recently became available on DirecTV.
Axios — and others — reported that Carlson has already been contacted by multiple outlets, including the Rumble streaming platform, Newsmax TV, and Valuetainment, and have offered to pay him more per year than Fox is shelling out.
In his video, Carlson said, “There aren’t many platforms left that allow free speech. The last big one remaining in the world is Twitter. If you bump up against the limits [in the news business] you will be fired for it.”
Tucker Slams Fox Employees For Using Pronouns In Hilarious New Leakpic.twitter.com/26qA0C49pJ
— Patriot Alerts (@alerts___) May 9, 2023
‘You’ve Been Canceled': Fox News Host Fired Seconds Before Show Started As Network Is In Shambleshttps://t.co/MfET802WvP
— Conservative Brief (@ConservBrief) May 3, 2023
Tucker Carlson's Next Move Revealed – We Know Where He's Headed Starting Next Weekhttps://t.co/fP38gKr8Ax
— Conservative Brief (@ConservBrief) May 2, 2023
“The rule of what you can’t say defines everything,” he said, adding, “You can’t have a free society if people aren’t allowed to say what they think is true… There aren’t many platforms left that allow free speech. The last big one… is Twitter, where we are now.”
“Twitter has long served as the place where our national conversation incubates and develops,” he continued, noting further that other networks are “thinly disguised propaganda outlets.”
“You see it on cable news, you talk about it on Twitter,” said Carlson. “The result may feel like a debate, but actually, the gatekeepers are still in charge. We think that’s a bad system. We know exactly how it works and we’re sick of it.”
“Starting soon, we’ll be bringing a new version of the show we’ve been doing for the last six and a half years to Twitter,” Carlson added. “We’ll be bringing some other things too, which we’ll tell you about. But for now, we’re just grateful to be here. Free speech is the main right that you have, without it, you have no others. See you soon.”
The Daily Wire noted as well:
Prior to Carlson making the announcement, his lawyer, Bryan Freedman, sent a letter to Fox officials Viet Dinh and Irena Briganti accusing the network of fraud and contract breach.
Axios reported that the letter sets Carlson up to make the argument that the non-compete provision in his contract is no longer valid, which would allow him to start the show or start a new media company.