NBC Takes Down Story On Paul Pelosi After Running Report on TODAY Show


OPINION: This article may contain commentary which reflects the author's opinion.

Editor’s Note: Soon after the original publication of this report, NBC deleted a story Friday (11/4) that aired on “Today,” stating it “did not meet [the network’s] reporting standards.” NBC took down the story on its site with an editor’s note stating, “The piece should not have aired because it did not meet NBC News reporting standards.” We have included this editor’s note to provide more accurate information to the evolving story.

New details are emerging about what transpired last Friday when House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s husband, Paul Pelosi, was attacked in their San Francisco home.

During a segment of NBC’s “Today” on Friday, reporter Miguel Almaguer said, “When officers arrived here at the Pelosi home exactly a week ago today, they initially didn’t have any idea exactly what was going on.”

Almaguer said that sources informed him that law enforcement was unaware they had been called to the home of the House speaker. The sources allegedly told NBC that the front door was opened by Paul Pelosi “after a knock and announce.”

“But according to the sources, he did not immediately declare an emergency or attempt to leave the property. Instead, NBC reports the 82-year-old walked several feet back to the foyer and toward the assailant. The outlet also notes it was not clear whether Paul Pelosi had already been injured or what his mental state was. However, when police officers asked what was going on, the defendant responded, ‘Everything’s good,’ and a struggle followed. Police then reportedly witnessed the assailant strike Paul Pelosi with a hammer in the head,” the Independent Journal Review reported.

Below is a transcript of Almaguer report on NBC News:

ALMAGUER: “Craig, good morning. When officers arrived here at the Pelosi home exactly a week ago today they initially didn’t have any idea exactly what was going on. They knew they had a high priority call on their hand what was unclear what was happening inside the property just behind me.”
[Clip starts]


ALMAGUER (voice-over): “This morning Paul Pelosi is home, back at the house that became a crime scene a week ago today. NBC News learning new details about the moments police arrived. Sources familiar with what unfolded in the Pelosi residents now revealing when officers responded to the high priority call they were seemingly unaware they had been called to the home of the speaker of the House. After a knock and announce the front door was opened by Mr. Pelosi. The 82-year old did not immediately declare an emergency or tried to leave his home, but instead began walking several feet back into the foyer toward the assailant and away from police. It’s unclear if the 82-year old was already injured, or what his mental state was, say sources. According to court documents, when the officer asked what was going on defendant smiled and said everything’s good. But instantaneously a struggle ensued as police clearly saw David DePape strike Paul Pelosi in the head with a hammer. After tackling the suspect officers rushed to Mr. Pelosi who was lying in a pool of blood.”

Scott: “What we do know is he brutally attacked Mr. Pelosi and attempted to kill him.”

ALMAGUER: “After spending several days in the ICU Pelosi who is recovering from a fractured skull and serious injuries to his arm and hand is now home where Capitol Police remain on alert. Investigators have previously said Pelosi did not know DePape when the 42-year old broke into his home. Why Pelosi didn’t try to flee or tell responding officers he was in distress is unclear.”

FREIHON: “Fear takes over, fear freezes people.”

ALMAGUER: “This morning the 82-year old lucky to be alive after an intruder nearly killed him in his own home.”

[Clip ends]

ALMAGUER (on camera): “Law enforcement tell — law enforcement officials tell us the bottom line here is this was a terrifying situation. We still don’t know exactly what unfolded between Mr. Pelosi and the suspect. For the 30 minutes they were alone inside that house before police arrived. Officials who are investigating this matter would not go into further details about these new details. Craig back to you.”


MELVIN: “Yeah. One thing’s for sure though, he is lucky to be alive. Miguel Almaguer for us. Miguel, thank you.”


The San Francisco District Attorney is shooting down “public interest” in releasing the police bodycam footage and the 911 call from the night of the attack against Paul Pelosi, the husband of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi. However, members of the Pelosi family were given the opportunity to see and listen to the footage.


U.S. Capitol Police have surveillance cameras to monitor Pelosi’s home in San Francisco, California. However, a new report alleges that the officers who were supposed to be watching those cameras missed the break-in that resulted in Paul Pelosi being assaulted in his home.

Officers in Washington, D.C., monitoring security feeds were not aware that anything was wrong at Pelosi’s home until cameras recorded several squad cars outside the home.

The cameras watching Pelosi’s home were among 1,800 monitored by the Capitol Police, the report said. When the Capitol Police checked the recordings from before officers arrived, they saw an intruder breaking glass and entering Pelosi’s home, the Post reported.

Send this to a friend