OPINION: This article may contain commentary which reflects the author's opinion.
A Texas County that was forced by the Biden administration to host thousands of illegal aliens under an international bridge voted unanimously on Tuesday to file suit against the president while appealing to other counties to take part.
“We’ve talked about immigration reform for as long as I can remember. Both parties have had control of Washington at one point or another over the last 20 years, and we have failed to do anything about it other than create the mess that we have today,” said Val Verde County Commissioner Beau Nettleton on Tuesday, according to Fox News. “It is inexcusable, and it is time that we get together with other counties and cities along the border and stand up and do something.”
He went on to say that it’s time for his county and other counties and border cities to join together to push back on Biden administration immigration policies that are leading to mass illegal immigration in numbers greater than at any time over the past two decades.
According to figures published by U.S. Customs and Border Protection, more than 1.5 million illegal crossings have been recorded this year alone, which does not yet include September figures.
“I don’t have the answer as to whether a lawsuit solves this problem, but it draws attention to this problem,” Nettleton noted. “They took the same oath of office that I did, which was to uphold the constitution…they need to comply with that oath and do their job and stop this mess.”
Fox News added:
President Biden has received fierce backlash from both Republicans and Democrats on the Hill for the administration’s failure to address the crisis at the southern border.
Democrats are furious over the continued use of Trump-era policies, like Title 42, which permits expedited deportations as a precaution to the coronavirus pandemic.
But members of the GOP have claimed Trump-era policies that stymied that flow migrants have been made ineffective.
Republicans have blasted Biden’s reversal of many of former President Donald Trump’s immigration and border enforcement policies, which they say has led to the current migrant crises. One of the most effective — the Migrant Protection Protocols, dubbed “Remain in Mexico.” That policy was ordered back into effect by the U.S. Supreme Court in August, but thus far, according to Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, the administration has yet to do so. Paxton has filed suit against the administration on behalf of his state to force compliance with the Supreme Court’s order.
“I am all for people coming into this country legally – that’s what built this country,” Nettleton said. “This is not a legal process, this is not the right way to do it.”
He added that years of bad border policies that have often encouraged illegal immigration have hit border countries and cities the hardest, and unfairly so.
“Fifty percent of the population of this city was sitting underneath our International Bridge – how is a town of this size, with our tax base supposed to deal with that problem,” he said, referring to the recent flood of Haitian migrants hunkered down in a makeshift camp last month.
“It is a complete failure of everything that is going on in Washington, for not just the last couple of years, but for many, many years.”
“I don’t have the answer to whether a lawsuit solves the problem, but it draws attention to this problem,” Nettleton added. “They took the same oath of office that I did; it was to uphold the Constitution and the laws of the United States and the laws of the state of Texas. That was the oath that I took. They took the same oath; they need to comply with that oath and do their job and stop this mess that’s going on.”