Advertisement

‘People Are Going To Go To Jail,’ Devin Nunes Says After Durham Report Is Released

Advertisement
Advertisement

OPINION: This article contains commentary which reflects the author's opinion


The Durham report is set to be unveiled soon and Rep. Devin Nunes believes it will result in people going to prison.

The California representative, who is the ranking Republican member on the House Intelligence Committee, was interviewed on Thursday on the Sara Carter Show podcast where he made the claim, The Blaze reported.

“I’m still positive, and I guess I have to be, that people are going to go to jail, and they are going to be prosecuted for the Russia grand fiasco and the Russia hoax,” he said on the show.

Durham launched the investigation into allegations that the investigation into alleged connections between Donald Trump and Russia were politically motivated.

Advertisement

“It may not be as broad as we want it to be,” the representative said of the report.

“But look, there are some major perpetrators,” he said. “I think, as you and everybody else know, we’ve made over 14 criminal referrals. That doesn’t mean 14 individuals. That means 14 different criminal referrals involving multiple individuals.”

He also warned the Biden administration to not stick its nose into the investigation or it will face consequences.

“That would be a big issue, especially if Republicans get control back of the Congress because we have subpoena power,” he said.

Advertisement

Durham’s investigation, which has been ongoing since spring 2019, has so far resulted in just one successful conviction, that of former FBI lawyer Kevin Clinesmith. He plead guilty to altering an email used to justify surveillance on Carter Page, who was working with the Trump 2016 campaign at the time.

Clinesmith apologized for the error and said that he committed the document falsification only to save himself some time. He was sentenced in January to 12 months probation and 400 hours community service.

In June, Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) said on Fox News that he was angry the report had not been released earlier.

“We were supposed to have the Durham report over a year ago,” Jordan said. “I just don’t know where that is.”

Trump was also aggravated that the report was taking so long.

Advertisement

Trump issued a statement in June decrying the time it has been taking Durham to produce the report that many believed would have been issued prior to the 2020 presidential election.

“Where’s Durham? Is he a living, breathing human being? Will there ever be a Durham report?” Trump said Friday night in a message from his official 45 Office email account.

But a report from Fox News said that Durham is taking his time on the investigation, with many concerned about how quiet he has been.

One source with knowledge of the investigation said  Fox News on Monday that the  probe has been “eerily quiet,” with another source saying that there has been “radio silence.”

“It’s dead quiet,” another source said, but they said that they are “sure it is ongoing.”

“He is not the kind of guy to be idle,” the source said to Fox News. “He is a very diligent, hardworking, serious guy.”

Advertisement

The source said. “He wouldn’t stay in that job a minute longer than he has to.”

Durham’s investigation has produced one criminal charge so far, against former FBI lawyer Kevin Clinesmith, who was accused of altering an email related to the surveillance of former Trump campaign aide Carter Page.

That prosecution, though, did not allege a broader conspiracy within the FBI, and the conduct it involved had largely been laid out in a Justice Department inspector general report from last December. Clinesmith in August pleaded guilty to making a false statement to Durham’s team.

The offense carried a maximum term of imprisonment of five years and a fine of up to $250,000.

Clinesmith was sentenced to 12 months probation and 400 hours of community service, and no fine.

Back to top button